Monday, August 23, 2010

Heart or Habit

We've all heard people say "that's just the way we do it." If you're like me you can't stand that phrase and you're always trying to push the envelope and go beyond what has always been done. But when it comes to my own life I had to make sure I had the same drive. Do I accept this is what I've always done so I'll stick with what works? I just wonder sometimes if complacency sets in and we begin to do what we do out of habit and less out of heart?

I like this verse found in Romans 12:11- Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. What really stood out to me is the words never be lacking in passion. Passion is fueled by heart and not habit. Passion is what keeps us looking at situations and challenges with a solution mindset. I guess the challenge for me is am I doing my relationships, my job and my life out of habit or out of heart? With heart comes passion with habit, complacency.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Justin.. I think we all from time to time just go with the flow, not feeling any passion for what we are doing. We all need to take the time to reflect on our lives and think about what is really motivating us to do the things that we do. Is it because we are passionate about it or is it because its what we've always done. I know that I personally have to think about it quite often. I have a job that frustrates me sometimes and its easy to just do what I have to do to get by. I have to stand back and think about how I want everything I do to bring glory to God and just doing it halfway wont work. Its such a great witness for Christ to have passion in everything you do, even when you dont really want to do it.

    ReplyDelete