Friday, July 17, 2009

Leave Comfort

John Maxwell writes that growth demands a temporary surrender of security. That thought led me to examine what areas am I getting comfortable in, or have I found security in? Security and comfort aren't bad, but making decisions for securities sake is not healthy.

Decisions of comfort happen in our life professionally, personally and spiritually. The problem with comfort is it can keep us from ever changing the way we do something. If we don't change, we really don't grow. There's really nothing worse than a stagnant life, devoid of change and improvement.

Here's a few things that might require a temporary surrender of security:

• familiar, but limiting patterns

• relationships that don't challenge you to be better

• safe, but unrewarding work

My challenge for me is that I spend 60% of my focus on what needs to get done, 20% on things towards the future and 20% developing already acquired and new skills. This is something I haven't perfected but will be continually evaluating in my life.

"Why stay on earth except to grow" - Robert Browning

1 comment:

  1. great post

    as followers of Christ, I believe we are to be bold, adventurous, even dangerous

    but secure and comfortable are so much easier

    ReplyDelete