Thursday, June 10, 2010

Don't Fear Failure

In the past year or so I've really felt challenged on many levels, but I've felt so fulfilled at the same time. It made me start to think about what has been rewarding in the midst of the challenges I've faced. As I thought about it, I realized I haven't feared failure. I've stepped into things professionally and personally knowing all I can do is give it my best and learn from the mistakes along the way.

One of my favorite quotes is from C.S. Lewis where he says, "Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement."

I will say not fearing failure isn't easy, but one thing that has made it easier has been to work for leaders who believe in me and allow me to grow and make mistakes. It's made me realize that as a leader I hope to always create an environment that allows mistakes and learning from those mistakes.

A few thoughts on what happens when we fear failure:

1. we stay comfortable
2. we stop growing
3. we limit ourselves

I will always set out to succeed, but I will embrace the opportunity to learn from my mistakes along the way so I can be even more successful the next time around.

1 comment: