Monday, September 21, 2009

It Happens All the Time

Tonight I was at the store and when the woman finished ringing up my items she said my total was sixteen dollars even. I smiled and got a bit excited and told her how cool is that. She was much less excited and sat there just staring at me waiting to pay. As I'm getting my cash out I'm smiling even bigger and remind her how cool that was. She continued to stare, and finally said – "it happens all the time." After that I told her that it doesn't happen to me all the time so this is cool.

What are the odds that the seven items I bought would be sixteen dollars even? It rarely happens to me, and so when it did I still thought it was the neatest thing ever. It made me think though that the first time that ever happened, she probably even thought it was neat. But as the thing that once was special continues to occur, the novelty wears off and we no longer are in awe of the simple things.

It just got me thinking, what was I once in awe of that I now take for granted. And in our upgrade and improve always society, how do we keep ourselves always appreciating the small things.

Here's a couple thoughts:

• take time to reflect on simple things that once made you happy
• look at small things as big things – always
• take a minute to celebrate those moments and don't just let them pass

I know for me as I continue in life I keep looking for something better, and I am less moved by the small things. I think it is good to return to the simple pleasures sometimes. Don't settle for simple, but sometimes return to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment